The Get Down is an American music drama series depicting the events of 1970-s. The creators of it are Baz Luhrmann and Stephen Adly Guirgis. The series premiered on Netflix in 2016. 6 episodes of the 1st season were released. The premiere episode was released on the 12th of August this year.
- Justice Smith portrays Ezekiel Figuero, nicknamed Zeke. He’s smart, inventive and resourceful. He’s full of love and passion. He’s ready to share it with the world around all together with his unique music talent. He’s determined to become successful. He’s attracted to Mylene. However, she decides to leave the Bronx and it ruins their possible relationship.
- Shameik Moore portrays Shaolin Fantastic – a child brought up on the streets. He’s explosive and unpredictable. He’s thrill-seeking and eccentric. However all of these things make him extremely enigmatic. He doesn’t trust Mylene, cause she’s the one who can destroy Ezekiel’s life and possible career.
- Herizen F. Guardiola portrays the character of Mylene Cruz. A girl with unbelievable voice willing to become a disco star. However, most of her dreams don’t match with her religious background. She’s in love with Ezekiel, and afraid that he will never agree to leave the Bronx.
- Jaden Smith acts as Marcus Kipling, nicknamed Dizzee. He’s an artistic graffiti artist.
- Skylan Brooks portrays Ra-Ra Kipling – a faithful, respected brother and friend.
- J. Brown Jr. portrays Boo-Boo Kipling – a kid with a highly developed mechanical mind. He behaves like a 40 years old adult in a body of a 14 year old teen.
- Yahya Abdul-Mateen II portrays Clarence Caldwell, nicknamed Cadillac. He’s treated like a king of disco, cause his dad owns one of the coolest disco spots in the Bronx.
- Jimmy Smits portrays the character of Francisco Cruz, nicknamed Papa Fuerte. He’s a political boss from southern Bronx. Provides his with jobs, healthcare and housing.
The production of the series was announced in February of 2015. Before that Luhrmann had devoted about ten years to the development of the series’ unique concept. The Get Down was called a mythic saga taking place in New York on the verge of bankruptcy. The show is totally devoted to the consequences of those hard times – hip-hop, punk and disco.
Grandmaster Flash, Nas and Kurtis Blow, the rap legends, assisted the team and the crew in order to become examples for the group of young actors having no idea about the depicted period of time.
Season 2 Release Date
Season 1 is split in two. The first part, consisting of 6 episodes has already been released and is fully available on Netflix Channel. The second part of season 1 is planned to be released in the beginning of 2017. Quite a number of critics called the first part a true work of art. The show doesn’t produce the impression of the series. It looks like a big movie made up of smaller pieces and standout moments.
The fans have already aroused the talks about season 2, but Luhrmann replied that he was planning to work on other projects and had no plans for further development of The Get Down.