Baskets is a TV series created not long ago and released by American filmmakers. It’s a dark dramedy. The premiere episode was released on the 21st of January, 2016 by FX Channel. The series was created in collaboration with Zach Galifianakis, Louis C.K. and Jonathan Krisel. The last one also acts as the runner of the project. Galifianakis plays the role of the leading character named Chip Baskets. He’s an unlucky professional clown from Paris. In the course of time, he becomes a clown at a local rodeo in California in a place called Bakersfield. He does it together with Dale Baskets – his twin brother. The executive producers of the show are Galifianakis, together with Marc Gurvitz, M. Blair Breard, Dave Becky, and Andrea Pett-Joseph in collaboration with FX Productions.
Brief Plot Description
After a number of troubles in life full of hopes, desires and dreams, Chip Baskets tries to turn into a professional clown. However, all of his dreams crash after he fails an examination in one of Paris schools for clowns. Because of this complication, he has to join a local rodeo in Bakersfield – his mother town situated in California. He becomes a clown in there and starts his new life full of new tensions.
Plot & Characters
- Zach Galifianakis plays the roles of twin brothers – Chip and Dale Baskets.
- Martha Kelly portrays Martha Brooks. She’s an insurance agent. The only one who understands and faithfully supports Chips. She’s also the only person able to tolerate his anger and rude behavior.
- Louie Anderson portrays Christine Baskets. The twins’ mom.
- Sabina Sciubba portrays Penelope. A French woman that Chip was married to. But it’s not about love. In the course of the series, it turns out that she’s married him only to get to America one day.
- Ernest Adams portrays Eddie. He’s the one who owns Buckaroo Rodeo. He decides to hire Chip because Chip’s desperate and he isn’t willing to earn a fortune. Eddie always gives work to those who desperately needs it. However, he never pays much money and is extremely happy to get someone who’s ready to work at huge injury cost. In the course of the series, he promotes Chip making him the head clown.
- Ellen D. Williams portrays Nicole Baskets. She’s married to Dale.
- Malia Pyles portrays Sarah Baskets. She’s Dale’s daughter.
- Julia Rose Gruenberg plays the role of Crystal Baskets. She’s the youngest Dale’s daughter.
In winter of 2013, Louis C.K’s and Pig Newton gave a signed agreement to create new shows for FX Channel. FX demanded to create a pilot for Baskets with the chosen actors and scriptwriters. On the 27th of August 2014 the production started.
Baskets got a number of positive reviews. Rotten Tomatoes gave it 70% and 7.4 score out of 10 possible basing on 36 reviews. The critics say that the series may be unpleasant for some viewers due to certain themes. However, the show is full of LOL moments in between. The cast was called “terrific”. Metacritic gave it 68 point score out of 100 possible basing on 32 reviews. The reviews at the resource were generally favorable.
Broadcast & Further Releases
The international premiere of the show was on the 26th of January 2016. In the end of February of 2016 FX channel officially renewed the show for season 2. It’s planned to be aired in the beginning of 2017.