The show managed to gain numerous nominations and award, among which is BAFTA award. That’s a competition project for the rank of the best amateur baker. The presenters of The Great British Bake Off are Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins. The judges are Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood. The show was also aired in the USA.
The first season air date was scheduled for quite long ago – in August of 2010. The new episode of a new program became extremely popular among the viewers. When the fourth season was over the project was pushed from BBC to BBC One Channel. Many of those who participated in the project started a successful career in bakery. The names of the most famous participants in the cast are: Edd Kimber, Frances Quinn, Joanne Wheatley, Nadiya Hussain and Candice Brown.
Numerous spin-offs were developed on the base of this show. For example, the one that turned no less popular than the original one is called Junior Bake Off for young children with new episode released on the CBBC channel.
Other famous spin-offs and successful continuations inspired by the original idea of the franchise are: An Extra Slice, and Bake Off: Cr?me de la Cr?me – team cooking competitions broadcast by BBC Two channel.
Then, two more project were launched to follow: The Great British Sewing Bee and The Great Pottery Throw Down. Eventually, the format was sold all over the world and is successfully used on TV screens of almost all continents.
On the 12th of September 2016, Giedroyc and Perkins said that they will not get back for the show cause the producers are planning to push it to Channel 4. Hollywood stays in the show no matter what. Read further for info on the format, curious incidents and 8th season release date.
The format bases on a weekly elimination process. The applicants are followed by an audition. Then the participants participate in a screen test with an interview held by the producing team. Second step of the audition is usually held on cameras and judged by Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood.
The contestants pass through three challenges. In the final round, one winner is chosen out of three candidates. The challenges are:
- Signature Challenge. The contestants demonstrate their tried-and-tested bakery recipes.
- Technical Challenge. Cooking in limited time with instructions. All contestants cook one and the same dish. Blind judging is used.
- Showstopper Challenge. A demonstration of skills, talent and professionalism. The final dish should be both beautiful and delicious at the same time.
- In the third season, John Whaite cut finger while using food processor. Due to the severe bleeding, he had to leave the last challenge. No one was eliminated in the round.
- In the fourth season, Deborah used Howard’s custard by mistake.
- In the fifth season, Iain Watters’ ice cream melted. The reasons were not clear – it looked like it happened because of the actions of the other contestants. As a result, he had no cake to be judged and was eliminated. The viewers didn’t like it.
Potential & Release Dates
Channel 4 officially announced that The Great British Bake Off 8th season premiere is planned for 2017.